The last few weeks, I’ve been having some trouble with Outlook. Sometimes it wouldn’t start or quit completely. I kept thinking it had something to do with a plug-in, but couldn’t quite nail it down.
The other day, I pulled up an email from a couple of weeks ago that I could have sworn had a file attached, only to find nothing attached to the message. Hmmm….strange. Then it happened again yesterday. I ended up having to get the attachment from Gmail (I forward all my mail to a Gmail account and use that as my webmail and email backup). This morning it happened again. I couldn’t find any consistent reason why some messages were losing their attachments and others weren’t.
A quick Google found this page, which pointed out a utility that I didn’t know existed: scanpst.exe. Microsoft includes this little bundle of joy with Office for just such occasions. On my computer, I found it here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\ Simply point it to the PST file you want it to scan and wait. It took 3 passes, but finally the utility reported no errors on the .PST file in question. I reopened Outlook again and voila! all the missing attachments are back where they belong.