I first noticed this when Dave Shea did it on “MezzoBlue.”:http://www.mezzoblue.com He coded his template so his comments appeared different than comments from other people. He took it a step further where he also color-coded comments from CSS/Web Design “pundits” and folks who tried to post anonymously. It caused a bit of stir on his site. But hey… his house, his rules.
Since then, quite a few sites have started doing this and I tell you, it makes reading comments much easier if you can quickly scan and pick out the site owner’s replies and updates to his/her entry.
I’ve been meaning to modify my templates to do this. Not that I get all that many comments but I thought it would help if my comments popped out. I see that Erik Barzeski just “redesigned his site”:http://nslog.com/archives/2004/10/30/design_done.php (I like it a lot, Erik) and now he’s doing it, too. Seemed pretty easy to implement. Dan Cederholm of “SimpleBits”:http://www.simplebits.com “explains”:http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2004/10/25/highlighting.html how he did it using the “Switch plugin for MovableType.”:http://mt-plugins.org/archives/entry/switch.php I used a plugin that I already had installed called “Compare.”:http://www.staggernation.com/mtplugins/#Compare
bq. <MTIfEqual a="[MTCommentAuthor]" b="Judi Sohn">
Simple. In the comments on the SimpleBits site there’s a lot of talk about spoofing comments. I tried comparing on the email field as suggested, but I have my MT configured to require a valid email address so entering a password instead wasn’t going to do it. If someone tries to pretend to me, I’ll get an email asking me to approve a comment from me that I don’t recognize. I’d be happy if the volume of traffic causes this to be a problem. For now, I think I can handle deleting stray comments manually.
By the way, MovableType 3.12 *is* much, much faster at rebuilds as promised. That’s part of the reason why I dreaded making any changes to my individual templates before. It would take *forever* for the site to rebuild. I still make changes in stages…test on one entry, then find another typical entry and save just that, and only after I’m sure the basic functionality is working do I rebuild the whole thing. Took less than 2 minutes to rebuild all 800 or so entries. The same rebuild would have taken at least 10 minutes, if not longer, under MT 2.x.